Author Topic: Plugin not finding my player when connected on 5 GHz wifi  (Read 3619 times)

DezHo

• View Profile
Plugin not finding my player when connected on 5 GHz wifi
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
Wifi routers are now often able to broadcast 5G and is becoming the norm for computers to use over 2.4G because of 5G's much faster speeds especially for file copying.

I have noticed that when I cam connected to 5G however, the sonos plugin is unable to to find all the players.  Whereas the sonos app that sonos provides is still able to see the speakers.  Is there a possibility of an update to the plugin so it can recognize the players on 5G also?  As most of my devices are now on the 5G but unable to find the sonos via sonos plugin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:06:05 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Re: Plugin not finding my player
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
I don't believe there is anything I can do about it. The app may be connecting through the WAN and Sonos servers. Our plugin can only talk to devices that are on your local area network. One way or another I think you need to make sure everything is on the same LAN. I assume that your Sonos players are on 2.4 GHz network and your pc is on 5 GHz but it's not really clear from your post. Somehow you need to ensure that these different WiFi networks are correctly bridged so that upnp messages can cross between them or you need to force your PC and Sonos onto the same wifi.  Ideally you should connect your PC using Ethernet cable.

I can't tell you much more about it because I don't have a router that supports 5 GHz.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Re: Plugin not finding my player
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
Wifi routers are now often able to broadcast 5G and is becoming the norm for computers to use over 2.4G because of 5G's much faster speeds especially for file copying.

You should not assume this to be true. 5 GHz is not always faster than 2.4 GHz. You should do some real world tests, copying files using each band to see what the actual difference in speed is on your network.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Plugin not finding my player when connected on 5 GHz wifi
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
Most likely you can resolve this issue by reconfiguring or changing your router.

Try searching the web for discussions of upnp discovery with 2.4 GHz and 5 ghz

For example. https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/26h498/24_ghz_and_5_ghz_confusing_plex/

Do not search for 5G. That's not a thing.