Author Topic: BEAM for ceiling fan with 303 MHz  (Read 3233 times)

wannaspeed

• View Profile
BEAM for ceiling fan with 303 MHz
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:46 PM »
I've been looking for something like this to control my RF ceiling fans. As I get more into Home Automation the RF fans/lights have been somewhat of an obstacle in integrating with my phone. I'm not 100% the frequency they use but I "think" in the 300 mhz range. I think most wireless fans have the same 16 frequency channels using dip switches to switch between them. Have ya'll tested the Beam in this sort of scenario? The fans have off/low/med/high and lights are on/off/hold for dim. If this device is something that can do that, count me in.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: BEAM for ceiling fan with 303 MHz
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
Hi wannaspeed. I have a ceiling fan that I believe is using 303 MHz and I have not had any luck controlling it with the Beam. I am able to learn codes from the fan remote but retransmitting them has no effect. I assume that the fan is too selective about the frequency it listens for.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find an equivalent transmitter that operates at 303 MHz to use in the Beam.

wannaspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
Hi wannaspeed. I have a ceiling fan that I believe is using 303 MHz and I have not had any luck controlling it with the Beam. I am able to learn codes from the fan remote but retransmitting them has no effect. I assume that the fan is too selective about the frequency it listens for.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find an equivalent transmitter that operates at 303 MHz to use in the Beam.

That's disappointing to hear, it's one of the main reasons I'm looking into the beam. Hopefully something like that can be implemented in the future. I do think most the frequencies are around that for ceiling fans. I can't be sure that mine are though, its plausible that each manufacture uses their own frequency block. However I have had 5 different remotes from different manufactures and was able to control all the fans with each remote. 

I was reading another guy that found the frequency and code for his fan, you would probably understand a lot more of what he did here than me but the frequency was 303.747mhz.  http://www.irrational.net/2014/03/22/reverse-engineering-a-ceiling-fan/

He did manage to control the fan with whats called a BladeRF, not sure what it is but maybe it will work in the sphere? Or separately with VC.

Link to the bladeRF http://nuand.com/ (looks cost prohibitive)
300MHz - 3.8GHz RF frequency range
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:15:08 AM by wannaspeed »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:49:35 AM »
Hi wannaspeed, I think the BladeRF cost more than a new ceiling fan with a working frequence  ;)
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »
Kalle has a new ceiling fan and is able to control it using the Beam with a 315 MHz transmitter. I believe his fan uses 303 MHz but I guess the receiver on the fan has a less selective receiver than mine. Mine is a Hampton Bay.

All to say that it is worth a shot if you already have a Beam and a fan, but there are no guarantees. I did another online search recently and I still can't find a replacement transmitter that operates at 303 MHz. I wonder why no one sells them.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
I was able to replace the 315MHz crystal on the transmitter with a 303.875MHz (hard to find one)
It still works with my fan - so as next James will test it with his Hampton bay fan.
***********  get excited and make things  **********