Author Topic: New user needs help setting up VoxCommando for the first time  (Read 4938 times)

Toughspot

• View Profile
Re: New user needs help setting up VoxCommando for the first time
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
Good morning,

Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong.  I got a "Success! Received Response from XBMC" telling me that my port is configured correctly but yet JSON won't connect.  I also noticed a "SR Engine Fail" in History. I've attached photos and the log.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:53:27 AM by Toughspot »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Your images are sideways and too small to read.  Please use the Windows snipping tool, or another program like snagit to upload images I can actually see.

I don't know what you mean by "yet JSON won't connect".  Maybe if I could see the images I would understand, but maybe it's not really an issue.

Also you've uploaded multiple images of the same windows but with what appears to be different settings, so it's impossible for us to know what actual settings you are currently using.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:02:42 AM by jitterjames »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
It's a bit of a challenge for us to help for the following reasons:

1. The photos you're posting are very low resolution, which makes it difficult for us to see your port settings. In the future, can you please use something like the built-in Windows snipping tool (screen capture)?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

2. The log indicates that VC is trying to connect to Kodi on port 9090, and being refused. The one photo of the xJson plugin where the port field is legible says 8080.

a. Do you have the HTTP port set to 9090 or to 8080 in the xJson plugin?
b. Is Kodi open when you try to test the connection?

In brief:
a. Kodi needs to be running in order for VC to connect to it. You'll get a timeout error if Kodi is not running.

b. The HTTP port in the xJson plugin needs to match the port you set in Kodi's web server settings (e.g., 8080, assuming you're not already using that port for other services on this machine). Your log is indicating that you're trying to connect to Kodi via port 9090. That is not advisable, as Kodi uses this port for other purposes, but I don't actually know what problems might result.

c. Once you've tested the connection in the xJson plugin and it is working, be sure to *save* your plugin settings by clicking the Save Options button.

d. The TCP plugin has nothing to do with your communication with Kodi, except insofar as the port you are using to communicate with Alexa must be different from the one you're using to communicate with Kodi. In the photos you posted, in one photo it looks like you might have the TCP port set to 8080, but in another it looks like 8096. Which are you using?

8096 for the TCP plugin/Amazon, and 8080 for xJson/Kodi would be good.

EDIT: I may be misinterpreting the log. Kodi sends its notifications on 9090, and that could be what the log is indicating. So ignore my comments about port 9090 if you haven't done anything with that port yourself.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:04:48 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Toughspot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Okay guys.  First of want want to thank you all for your patience.  You both are better men that me because I have an unlimited amount of patience, my problem is that I lose it so quickly... Hehehehe

Below are the photos with another copy of the log.  The name of the file describes the caption.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:31:44 AM by Toughspot »

Toughspot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »
Kodi port Config

Note the event XJSON CAN'T CONNECT
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:59:37 AM by Toughspot »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
OK. First, I see that I confused you with my comment about port 9090. My apologies. You should not have changed the "subscribe to notifications" port at the bottom of the xJson window. That should stay at 9090. That is a different thing. I misread the log, and because we couldn't read the initial screen images I was concerned that you'd set the web server port to 9090 as well.

After you've fixed this and again saved your xJson plugin settings:

1. Close both programs. Then open Kodi, then open VoxCommando.
2. Try some of those browse Kodi commands again.

If they still don't work, James can help you via TeamViewer. You can send him a PM.

- Naomi
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Toughspot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
Still didn't work.  In fact when I use browse commands it "LOCKS" up Kodi and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to close it.  I'll pm James now.

Thanks

Toughspot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
My most sincere appreciation to James for his invaluable assistance; you too Naomi... :-)

Question... Should I be concerned about these two errors??

1. XJason.Connect
2.Failed to Start RS Engine
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:44:40 PM by Toughspot »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
Spelling mistakes notwithstanding, probably not.

The SR error is only an issue if you are trying to use a normal microphone and it stops working. This is a bug I will address in the next release related to emulated recognition like when we send text from Alexa but should not affect you unless you are switching back and forth between your echo and a normal microphone.

The xJson connect error is probably the notification system trying to connect when it is already connected. As long as you are seeing events from Kodi (like when media starts or stops) then it is working correctly.  It just tried to connect every time Kodi is focused in case it got disconnected for some reason like if you had closed and then reopened Kodi.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:46:12 PM by jitterjames »

Toughspot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
I'm having issues opening Kodi.  Any anyideas please?  Attached is a log and photo.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
That means there is no such voice command as "open kodi".

Look at the phrases in the command editor or use "show help" to see what the valid voice commands are.

Toughspot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 04:54:25 PM »
Thank you sir.....

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
just a heads up I noticed last night that I'm seeing "Failed to start SR engine!" when using autovoice as my mic, I'm running 2.2.3.8

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
just a heads up I noticed last night that I'm seeing "Failed to start SR engine!" when using autovoice as my mic, I'm running 2.2.3.8

Autovoice is not really being used "as your mic".  It is sending speech to VC as text and then VC is doing emulation on that text.

So this error is probably not an issue and may be the result of you not having an active microphone in Windows.  If you do not have a microphone then VC cannot start the engine.  When performing emulation it will disable the recognizer and then re-enable it in emulation mode, then disable that engine and try to reenable the regular SR engine using your real microphone.  The fact that an error is thrown whenever it tries to enable the regular mode engine should not be an issue as far as I know.

As long as it works then don't worry about the error.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
I wasn't to worried, I figured it was doing emulation with the text, I just thought I would let you know the error is still happening since you said:

The SR error is only an issue if you are trying to use a normal microphone and it stops working. This is a bug I will address in the next release related to emulated recognition like when we send text from Alexa but should not affect you unless you are switching back and forth between your echo and a normal microphone.
(further up in this thread)

wasn't sure if you had addressed it yet so I thought I would let you know that it was still showing up.