Author Topic: Wifi IR ???  (Read 4154 times)

eugekiller

• View Profile
Wifi IR ???
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
Ok so i been looking around here seen a lot of different ir blasters. I was wondering if there is anything out there that is wireless like wifi or Bluetooth. Also without hooking anything up to the tv or the sound bar. And will be compatible with VOX

My pc is in my office from which i ran hdmi to my tv. I dont want to tear down walls again to run a blaster. And would prefer not attaching anything to tv.

Or is  iTach Flex the best way to go?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:50:36 PM by eugekiller »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Wifi IR ???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »
Itach flex is wireless (wifi) and so is the itach wifi2ir if you can still buy those.

Either one should suit your purposes.

eugekiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:02:18 PM »
Thanks james which one would you say would be best. All i have is a samsung tv and an lg sound bar to control.

Also james it looks like this one need to be hooked up to the tv or the sound bar to control it is that correct.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-iTach-Wi-Fi-Flex-WF/dp/B00C6FFM4Q/ref=pd_sim_147_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Zpe1zeScL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=01XMY6Z4BS4V8DQS5AZK

The  itach wifi2ir doesnt have to be pluged to pc or to tv?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:08:20 PM by eugekiller »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
IR  stands for InfraRed. It works the same as a remote control. You need line of sight or you can use small emitters that stick on to the front of your AV equipment if it is  hidden away in a cabinet for example.

If you are interested in getting one why don't you spend some time researching it on their website etc?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:14 AM »
Both units need to be plugged into a power supply.

This should give you an idea of how it can be used.
https://youtu.be/RdkHRnv36yY

eugekiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
i did  james i seen you video also.. and there is 2 more on there. but none really answer my questions.  so i am guessing ig my tv and sound bar is in sight then i can get away with just  itach wifi2ir. and i dont need the 3.5 attachments for my components.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-GCIREM1-Flex-Emitter/dp/B00CEK3W8G/ref=pd_sim_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41YlX1ppqRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1427M770V6MMBCMP13RP

I wouldn't need these?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:25:24 AM by eugekiller »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »
I thought I had answered your questions.  If the main thing you really want to know is

The  itach wifi2ir doesnt have to be pluged to pc or to tv?

then the answer is no, the itach wifi2ir doesn't have to be plugged to pc or to tv.  Wifi is wireless. That is how laptops and iPhones are able to communicate without wires.  IR is also wireless which is why you are able to point your remote control at your TV and control it without running a wire from your remote to your TV.

My wifi2IR came with a "blaster" emitter which I show in the video.  It connects to the unit and sends out the IR signal.  Whatever you buy make sure it comes with an emitter or buy one separately if it does not.

You either need a blaster emitter for controlling from a distance, or a stick-on emitter like the last link you posted if your device is in a cabinet so that you cannot see it.
You need line of sight or you can use small emitters that stick on to the front of your AV equipment if it is  hidden away in a cabinet for example.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:49:45 AM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
This is the blaster: http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-Blaster-Cable-FL-BL/dp/B00CEK3VHS/ref=pd_bxgy_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0819VB08W34YPFHGW6FN

It allows you to send IR signals between 10 and 25 feet depending on how well aimed it is and how sensitive your AV equipment is.  In other words the range will vary depending on which devices you are trying to control and whether or not the blaster is pointed directly at them or not.

In my case the Wifi2IR came with both types of emitters in the box but I think maybe the Flex sold on Amazon does not come with any so yes you need to buy one or the other.  If you want to use both a blaster and the stick-on emitters with the Flex then you also need a splitter like: this because it only has one output.  The Wifi2IR has 3 outputs on it so you don't need a splitter.

I personally think the Wifi2IR is better than the flex.  But it is bigger.

eugekiller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Thanks James just ordered it. Had a question off this topic does vox work with any hubs? was going to use wemo but i have 3 way switches and they dont support them. So i need to use a hub to controll it all.

mexicanto

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 02:43:26 AM »
Hi, I want to share my experience with wifi rf/ir/bt hub

I have the harmony hub, and works pretty good with voxcommando and a HarmononyHubContorl.exe (you can
find it on google) it is a command line for the harmony

For the wemo, you have 3 options:
A program called wemocontol.exe (google it), it is a commando line too.
The plug-in for voxcommando.
And the Scrape.Get action in voxcommando.

hope this can help.