Author Topic: the new InsteON Hub 2245-222  (Read 3366 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
the new InsteON Hub 2245-222
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
my existing inteon hub 2242-222 just died :( ... now I am looking for replacement ... anybody using vox commando with the new hub 2245-222 ?
if so could share your experience ...
thanks
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: the new InsteON Hub 2245-222
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:14:41 PM »
I don't use Insteon yet, but I've been looking into it, instead of Zwave, I have a couple of questions if you can answer them for me

how long did you have the Insteon hub (2242-222) before it died on you?

was it faulty equipment that caused it to fail? (Bad product)

how do you like Insteon?

if you have used ZWave before how does it compare?

sorry for the false hope on your search for answers about 2245-222  ::saddest

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:02:58 PM »
I would stick with Zwave and consider a hub that also supports ZigBee and Bluetooth as well.

Based on this: http://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-comparison

Zwave and Insteon are both good but Zwave is more popular and there is a wider array of options available for devices.

For those who already have Insteon I believe a Zwave controller can control Insteon through a USB connection to a cheaper Insteon controller in some cases... http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?board=38.0

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »
how long did you have the Insteon hub (2242-222) before it died on you?
about 4 years

was it faulty equipment that caused it to fail? (Bad product)
not sure, it seems power supply overheat, the plastic turned brown at a certain spot...

how do you like Insteon?
I like it, but if I am starting from scratch I will go z-wave. inteon, v. good but lacks integration with others like ifttt. PC Software (HouseLinc) is very limited and for no obvious reasons, ex. it offers sending an email based on a trigger but it lacks executing external command !!!!  :bonk :bonk :bonk

if you have used ZWave before how does it compare?
I did note ... however, with Z wave you have many manufacturers and as many controllers ... Insteon only hubs from Inteon, there is standard, home kit, and plm to use with PC and each is missing few features

zwave tends to be a bit more expensive but with sales it is not a big factor today as before
insteon one manufacturer, means it can die any minute ... z-wave is a consortium of well establish companies

sorry for the false hope on your search for answers about 2245-222  ::saddest
you owe me a beer  8) 8)

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks for all the info jitterjames and Haddood,

I was looking at Insteon but you guys made some good points, and the fact that the cord shorted out definitely isn't something I want siting in my basement,

I was looking at Z-Wave a while back but started to look else where because I was afraid I would have issues with communication being that I already have issues with WiFi and the higher the frequency the harder it is to travel through walls and other objects,

I know they use mesh networking but Insteon uses mesh networking and also uses power lines for communication so I thought I would have more luck with Insteon, but knowing that the units don't last as long and could be a fire risk, I'll use Z-Wave instead

Thanks for all the Input

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
I wouldn't go as far as fire risk. the hub has internal power supply. a component has over heated and turned the plastic a bit brownish ....
however all the other factors today says z-wave ... I have my eye on smartthings hub for a while .... you might want to check it out, as well it have very active community