Author Topic: VoxTools Addon for XBMC  (Read 5269 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
VoxTools Addon for XBMC
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I will post the voxTools addon here when it is a bit more complete...

The main function of the addon will be to allow us to use "execbuiltin" functions of XBMC but there will be other opportunities here.

For example I will be adding a setVolume command that adjusts the master XBMC volume smoothly instead of in a single harsh "jump" in level.  This of course, could be done by sending multiple commands from VoxCommando, but it is much better (I think) to send a single command to our addon and then let it loop internally without all the extra network traffic.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxTools Addon for XBMC
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »
If anyone has any experience with setting up addons in XBMC to allow for auto-update, or to include them in repositories that would be wonderful.  As it is now we will need to "install from zip" to install our addon, or anytime we want to update it.  Auto update would be much cooler.

Anyone?

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
James, step by step

1) Create one Project in Googlecode. https://code.google.com/p/www/
2) Install in your PC - Tortoise SVN software, http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
After create one folder in your PC, in this folder click with direct button mouse, Press option SVN Checkout (put address your googlecode)
3) Need use HTTPs - ex: https://mod-skin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/  for have similar address -:  name your project + googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Done it´s create repo in your PC, when ok this step, post here, MarcosQui will give new instructions about.
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
OK.  So I have done everything that I think I am supposed to do.  Here is the repository.  With this file you can

- "install as zip" in XBMC and the repository will be installed
- then you can go to the addons "get addons"
- Select "Program Addon"
- Select "VoxCommando Tools"
- Click Install

...but then nothing happens.  What am I doing wrong?

nevermind.  I think I got it!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:27:00 PM by jitterjames »

painy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »
I'm getting a script failed error when I try to open voxtools. I'm running Frodo, September monthly build

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. Actually you don't "open" it.  In fact you don't really need to worry about it for now.  Our new plugin, when ready, will call the script with parameters.  If you open it directly with no parameters it will fail.

bp_pbs

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
So James will this help with the HTTP API removal or is this separate and I'm going have to recode most of the XBMC commands with JSON?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
VoxTools script will help along with new plugins I am working on, but won't mean that you can just keep using your current configuration.  When the time comes to switch, there will be nearly a complete reconfiguration required.

I'm working on solutions, but Frodo is full of bugs still which makes it difficult to progress.  When Frodo gets closer to a proper release I will provide a full standard configuration similar to the one that currently comes with VC.  It will be up to you to customize it to make your own personal solutions, but I hope to give you a running start.  At the end of the day, I think, we will probably not lose any significant functionality and may even gain something.

The main area where we are being robbed is in the queuing of music (and other media).  The sql queries have been completely taken away from us so we will be forced to use SmartPlaylists for most of our requests.  Frodo's smart playlists are very buggy, and so are the skins when running on Frodo, but I hope it will all get sorted out eventually!  In any case I don't think it will make much sense to switch to Frodo for a while yet, even if you are not a VC user.

bp_pbs

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
Ok that's what i was afraid of. I guess for right now I just won't use their nightlies.

Thanks