Author Topic: iron py & win10 64bit  (Read 4445 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
iron py & win10 64bit
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »
Hi James,
I'am trying to run VC on a win10 64bit machine (mac mini 2010, bootcamp) and I get the attached error...evidently Iron Py is not running, though VC does
it happens every time I start VC ...
I saved the log, if you need it let me know and I will PM it

many tx

When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: iron py & win10 64bit
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:50:52 AM »
Hi Haddood,

Can you provide any more info about your setup? What version of VC? (Have you tried others?) What version of .Net? Anything else, such as IronRuby, installed -- or some other version of Python -- that might be interfering?

So far we've had no issue running the Python plugin with our 64-bit W10 machines (not Macs). Maybe James will have other specific questions, but more info beyond W10, 64 bit might help. thx.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:46:05 AM »
sorry for the missing info ...

VC version 2.214 (did not try others)
iron ruby not installed, at one point I think I had python installed, but has been removed long time ago

trying to install .net 4.6.1 give this: .NET Framework 4.6.1 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

just an idea, maybe james can build a reporting tool that collect all these info, so all we have to do is attach the file, and help you avoid asking these questions which we users :) forget to answer ...

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 05:25:40 PM »
Technically, the kind of basic info that would be a standard requirement from user to user is contained in the VC log (i.e. VC version number, .Net version, etc.). One of many reasons we ask folks to post a log when they're getting error messages.

Can you please verify the version number for the PY plugin that you're using? It should be version 2.0.2.3.

You'll find the version number if you activate the Plugins window from the main UI (or in the Plugins tab in Options where you enable and disable plugins).

Also, is there any chance that when you installed VC the checkbox next to the IronPython libraries got unchecked?

The only similar error I can find online was happening to people using old versions of the IronPython libraries. https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/FreePIE/issues/67

VC comes with the "correct" (most recent) version, 2.7.5, so I'm not sure how this could be related, but it might be worth re-installing VC and making sure that checkbox is actually checked when you do.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:13:37 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »
just installed VC 2.2.1.6 made sure the libraries are selected, and python is the correct version. still same error

attached log file
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:37:01 PM by Haddood »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
Looks like the log file you uploaded is empty. Though I don't think in this case the log file will help us much.

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas. It seems like there must be a conflict on your system somewhere.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
Thanks a lot for your time ... Will start digging with MS and iron py websites

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
trying to install .net 4.6.1 give this: .NET Framework 4.6.1 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

Maybe you need to install .Net 4.5.2 and/or .Net 3.5 as well?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
Also if you had an older version of python or iron python installed on that machine at some point (not the VC version I mean the actual python installation) then please try to verify that it did not leave some older versions of the .dll files lying around somewhere.  Maybe VC is loading them instead of the Python .dll files provided by VC.

And of course if you are ever updating VoxCommando be sure to use the option to "clean" .dll files.

I don't know if this is what is happening, just grasping at straws.  I'm not aware of anyone else having this issue, and I think VC's Python plugin is used by a significant number of people.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »
The 4 dlls you should be looking for to see if there are older versions than the ones found the VC\dlls folder are the following, I think:

IronPython.dll
IronPython.Modules.dll
Microsoft.Dynamic.dll
Microsoft.Scripting.dll
and maybe any of the other Microsoft.* dlls

you might also want to look at your system PATH variable to see which folders might contain these files.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:42:15 PM by nime5ter »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 03:23:37 AM »
thank you james .... will dig into that this weekend and report back