Author Topic: Control different Kodi systems from VoxCommando  (Read 3149 times)

the1Dmitri

• View Profile
Control different Kodi systems from VoxCommando
« on: December 28, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »
HI Again  ;D ,

Is there any way to setup VoxCommando to control separate Kodi setups? What I mean is I have Kodi on my main PC in one room which acts as a server to Kodi I have installed on a FireTV in another room. IS there a way I can set up voice commands so I can say something like "Watch the movie 16 block on the FireTV" and it will play only on the Kodi installed on my FireTV?

Thanks!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Control different Kodi systems from VoxCommando
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
Yes, you can change which Kodi machine you want to control using xJson.SetConnection

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Plugin_XJson#SetConnection

For any commands that use library IDs this will only really work if you use a central MySql database with Kodi, but it appears that you are doing that already, based on your other forum posts.

the1Dmitri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »
Awesome-o. Worked like a charm. Thanks again.

DieterClaeys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
I recently bought a Amazon Fire TV.
I've downloaded KODI onto it and it works fine.

However, for some reason VoxCommando can't make a connection to it :-(
Also I can't ping the address shown in the summary information.

Do I need to make some special settings in my Fire TV?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
Well we don't have much troubleshooting information other than the fact that you are using a FireTV and that ping failed, but I'll try to help as much as I can based on that.

The first thing I should say is that in the vast majority of cases when VC can't communicate with Kodi it is because of an incorrect configuration.  I suggest that you go through the wiki article on configuring VoxCommando and Kodi correctly and double check every setting.

You said "can't make a connection" but that could mean different things, so it would help if you could be very specific about what you did to test and what exactly happened, or what exact error was generated.

As far as I know FireTV is a variation of Android.  I have Kodi 17.0 installed on my Samsung Android tablet and everything works. It was a bit harder to configure Kodi because some settings on the Android seemed to be resetting themselves. I had to go back and check the Android Kodi settings a few times until I was sure they were staying set correctly.  I'm not sure why that was happening.

As far as ping goes, I don't think it is that unusual for an Android device to fail to respond to a ping. It does not necessarily indicate a problem.  I did read somewhere that Android won't respond to a ping from a computer that is not in its ARP table, so it may be that you must first connect to your PC from the Android or do something else to make the PC end up in the Android's ARP table. After that the ping may work, but none of this really matters because Kodi should still work with VC even if ping does not.

If there is a specific limitation with the FireTV then I think you will probably need to go somewhere else (a Kodi or FireTV specific forum) to get help with it, because there will probably not be any FireTV users here that can help you.  To get help somewhere else you will probably need to look into setting up the official Kodi remote control app or the web browser control of Kodi, instead of VoxCommando.  If that app can connect, then so can VoxCommando. If you ask how to get VoxCommando to connect to FireTV on those support forums they will just tell you they don't know what VoxCommando is or that you should ask us for help.

But my guess is that something is not configured correctly in Kodi or in the VC xJson settings.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:59:01 AM by nime5ter »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
If any VC users have an Amazon Fire + Kodi, it may be easier to reach them by posting your problem on our Google+ community page -- linking to your post here on the forum.

I think that more VC users may automatically receive Google+ notifications, and fewer actively monitor these forum boards.

https://plus.google.com/communities/114617052029490561887
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »
to start off I am by no means an expert on the fire tv stick, I would do as jitterjames recommends and double check your settings ;), and I would add double check your network connection* (More bellow)

but this is what I can tell you from my experience with FTV (Fire TV) stick

VC CAN connect to Kodi Running on a Fire stick just like every other version (Platform) of Kodi (using XJson.SetConnection action)

*how ever if the fire stick disconnects from the network for any reason then you have to navigate to the FTV stick home screen and wait for it to reconnect or go into network settings and select your network so it will connect. during this time VC  CAN NOT connect to kodi because kodi does not have a network connection, if you want to check your network connection from within Kodi, you can try and play a media file that is located on your network, if it plays then you have a network connection. if it does not play then you need to reconnect to your network

the FTV Stick can get slow when having VC do multiple things to Kodi, for example: starting an addon and then adjusting the volume in Kodi immediately after can cause some of the volume adjustments to get lost, so some commands may need to have a delay added (VC.Pause) to the steps, this is not due to VC or Network speed, this is due to the FTV stick's CPU power

while streaming bigger files with the FTV stick (2+ gigs) over the network you can see a delayed communication between VC and Kodi on the FTV stick (this doesn't happen every time but the FTV stick is the only place I have it happen on my network)

I hope this information will help with your trouble shooting