Author Topic: Windows 10 S With voxcommando  (Read 2048 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Windows 10 S With voxcommando
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding how exactly windows 10 s works but from the looks of it we might be able to get windows 10 running on a raspberry pi 3.

I'm curious as if vox could work with this new OS? It says something about apps must be used from the app store only and that devs will have to use windows new tool to make their apps available on the windows store. But it also talks about buying a license for the OS and that possibly allowing you to use apps that don't come from the app store.

So what I'm thinking is we could possibly throw windows 10s onto a rpi3 add a mic and speaker. 3d print a nice little case and basically have something similar sized to an echo dot but running vc instead.

I've pretty much grown to hate Alexa. The mic picks up the voices with great quality but it lacks so far behind vc when it comes to the customizations I care about.

I know I would be okay dropping about $100 for a dedicated voxcommando hub. I would probably go as far as to put one in every room.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Windows 10 S With voxcommando
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
It seems unlikely to me but maybe you can point us to the web pages that gave you the idea that maybe:

1 - It would run on a Raspberry Pi

2 - "buying a license for the OS and that possibly allowing you to use apps that don't come from the app store"

From what I've seen the OS will be locked down pretty tight.  Also if it's stripped down to fit on a Pi it may not have any desktop speech engine or it may not even have the full .Net implementation.

But at this point I really don't know.  This is the first I have heard of this OS.

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 S With voxcommando
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:48:49 AM »
Yea NM looks like I read the article wrong. They were saying the only way to install apps outside of the windows store is to buy and install Windows 10 pro. I was thinking they meant you could bypass the restriction by buying a key.

And I've seen a few sites say it would work on a pi but then others saying that it's going to be a preinstalled only OS.

So I don't really know what the plans are but that would be awesome.